Natural Spotlight: 1 Year Later

8:20:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Today we're catching up with Lisa, a former Natural Spotlight, who is celebrating her one year anniversary. If you recall, I had the pleasure of doing Lisa's big chop for her last year and have watched her hair thrive. Here's her story. 

(In the red) a few days after big chopping; (in the blue and white) one year later

1. It's been a year since your big chop. Wow. How does it feel?
It feels great!!  I wish I had done it sooner.

2. Many people are new to your story, tell us why you decided to go natural.  
In 2010, one of my good friends ;) decided that she was going natural.  I started asking questions about the natural process and hair care advice for my daughter.  The more I learned, the more I realized that I could do this.  I became very interested and inspired and the rest is history as they say.

3. Usually at the one year mark, you've come to realize some amazing things about your hair and about yourself. What have you learned so far?  
I've learned that I can do anything.  I had no clue about natural hair and never imagined that I would be natural, but I've taken the time to learn and ask questions.  I've learned that what works for someone else's hair may not work for me and that's okay because I'm me!

4. Our hair evolves as we do. What is your current regimen and how has it changed?
I'm so embarrassed to discuss my current regimen; it's practically non-existent.  I do, however, try to deep condition once a week. That's probably the only thing I do consistently *hangs head in shame*.

5. What are your favorite products and how do you use them?
Of course, I love the Shea Moisture product line.  I use the mist daily, and the shampoo and deep conditioning masque.  I also use an olive oil moisturizer that I add a few different oils to. If don't use SM as my shampoo and conditioner I opt for the Giovanni line.

6. You have two natural daughters, how do you care for their hair? 
It's alot of work caring for my hair along with my daughters (5 and 13).  I pretty much do the same regimen for their hair.  I wash it every two weeks, co-wash in between the shampooing, and deep condition.

7. What advice would you give to a transitioner/newly natural? 
Research, research, research and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Also, be confident in knowing that what may work for everyone else may not work for you and vice versa.  Remember that there may be people who do not understand your journey, but that's okay...it's your journey -  embrace it and love it.