Deep Cleansing Your Hair

2:11:00 AM 7 Comments A+ a-

It's Springtime! That means clothes are coming off, sandals are being pulled out and hair is coming out of protective styles. With the harsh winter behind us (hopefully!), we naturals and transitioners are going to probably start wearing our hair out more often. Fabulous natural hair starts with CLEAN natural hair. Applying products to your hair without properly cleansing it each month, can make it dull and lifeless. To revitalize my curls, I deep cleanse once a month. Here are a few ways to do so:


The baking soda method
1 part baking soda 
2 parts water. 
Apply to to hair and scrub with fingers gently. Rinse well and follow up with a deep conditioning treatment.


Bentonite Clay Mask
1 part bentonite clay
2 parts apple cider vinegar or water
1 part honey (for moisture)
Mix until a paste consistency. Apply to hair from root to ends and over with a cap for 30 minutes. Rinse hair well and follow up with a deep conditioning treatment.


Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
2 parts apple cider vinegar
2 parts distilled water
Part hair into 4 sections and spray the acv onto it. Spray onto scalp to cleanse it as well. 
Rinse and follow up with a deep conditioning treatment. The scent will not linger in your hair.

7 comments

Write comments
RealHustla
AUTHOR
April 03, 2011 10:06 AM delete

Have you tried lemon juice yet? I think this deep cleans as well and it smells great. It help with build up on the scalp. I'm glad to know about the acv. Good to have options.

Reply
avatar
Monique
AUTHOR
April 03, 2011 8:01 PM delete

@Hustla - I haven't tried lemon juice for fear that the citrus acid will change my natural hair color when exposed to the sun. I may give it a try though. Anything to deep clean my scalp is alright with me.

Reply
avatar
RealHustla
AUTHOR
April 04, 2011 5:29 AM delete

I learned about it from my loctician years ago. Although you may have a valid concern (may happen to some but not all), I find it very affective with eliminating the oil buildups that can get lodged in my locks. And it cleanses the scalp of excess dry skin that can result in scab like build up.

Reply
avatar
lilbont
AUTHOR
September 11, 2011 4:35 PM delete

I still have a TWA, so do I need to deep cleanse my hair? If so, how often should i do this?

MANDY

Reply
avatar
Monique
AUTHOR
September 12, 2011 8:44 AM delete

@lilbont - regardless how long your hair is, it still needs to be deep cleansed. Why wouldn't you do it? Think about it: that's like saying, should I use soap everytime I shower? LOL

It should be done once a month.

Reply
avatar
Kesterlyn
AUTHOR
May 04, 2014 1:32 AM delete

I tried the baking soda cleansing treatment named above and it worked really well for me. it washed out all the dirt on my scalp like water. but I can not stress enough how important it is to follow up with a deep conditioning treatment! we don't want dry hair, just clean hair.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
November 25, 2014 7:45 PM delete

When you say one part to two part this our you talking tablespoon, teaspoon or cups?

Reply
avatar