Natural Spotlight: Babs

2:35:00 AM 1 Comments A+ a-

Meet, Babs, a fellow ATLien and new mother who decided that she couldn't care for her daughter's natural hair if she didn't embrace her own hair. 


1. Introduce yourself to us (are you: transitioning, loc'ed, newly natural, natural-n-pressed, etc.)
My name is Babs and it has been 6 months since my last relaxer (Hi Babs!).  So far I have been enjoying this journey through my transition, but I'll be honest and tell you I can't wait until it's over. I can't wait until I have a head full of kinky/curly hair!

2. Why did you decide to embark on this journey?
My decision to transition was two-fold.  First, I have always loved natural hair styles.  I love the look of women with natural hair and have always had hair envy.  One day I was out to dinner with a friend and her natural hair looked so good I decided right then and there that I was no longer going to relax my hair.  The other reason I decided to transition is because of my daughter.  I have a beautiful baby and I knew I would never want to relax her hair.  I figured the only way I was going to learn to care for her hair in its natural state was to learn to care for mine in its natural state.

3. How have people reacted to your hair so far?
Honestly, most people love it.  At work I get tons of compliments every week.  Even when I don't think it looks that good, I receive compliments.

4. Do you have any hair goals?
I just want to have healthy, easy-to-maintain hair. When my hair was relaxed, I always had breakage and I spent 45 minutes every single morning with a flat iron.

5. Do you have any favorite hair accessories? If so, what are they?
The only hair accessory that I use is a headband and that is out of necessity.  I would love to bring other accessories into my hair routine, but I'm not quite sure what to purchase and haven't built up enough confidence to wear them. I'll get there soon!

6. What's your hair care regimen?
I wash and deep condition my hair on Sundays.  On Wednesdays and Saturdays, I cowash.  I keep my hair in curly twist outs throughout the week, but on weekends I like to do wash and go's or just a ponytail.

7. We are all searching for "the holy grail" when it comes to hair care products. What's the one product you can't live without?
I have recently begun the 180 Challenge for Original Moxie hair products. So far I am loving Emollience.  It has a great scent and leaves my hair nourished after leaving it on overnight.  I also love the Intense Quench Deep Conditioner. My hair feels strong and healthy after using it.

8. Youtube and CurlyNikki.com are well-known natural hair resources. How do you educate yourself about natural hair? What are some of your favorite sites?
It is so easy to become YouTube obsessed.  There are so many tutorials I could spend hours watching them.  And I have!  I love, of course, Natural and Fab.  I also love Serenity 3-0, Afrobella, Oh Curl!, Meechy Monroe and Thank God I'm Natural. There are tons more in my Google Reader. I learn something from all of them.

9. What is the natural hair scene like where you live? Do you see many naturals in your area?
I live in Atlanta, honey.  We have EVERYTHING here!  I probably couldn't live in a better city to embark on this journey. Naturals are everywhere!

10. If we want to keep in touch with your natural hair journey, is there a blog or website we can follow?
I blog at musingsonmotherhood.wordpress.com.  In addition to blogging about my transition, I talk about being a mother, a lover of food and all things entertaining.  Please stop by!

1 comments:

Write comments
Serenity3-0
AUTHOR
May 17, 2011 1:19 PM delete

Congrats on the spotlight! Can't wait to see your BC.

Reply
avatar