Natural Spotlight: Nikki

7:12:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

Meet Nikki, our curly New Yorker. She show us how she channeled negative childhood comments about her hair into something positive.


1. Introduce yourself to us (are you: loc'ed, newly natural, natural-n-pressed, etc.)
My name is Nikki and I've been natural (without relaxer) since I was 15, and I will be 32 in three months.  I was locked in high school then cut them off and let my hair grow out again.  I've also been dying my hair since high school and Lawd is it strong!


2. How long have you been natural and why did you decide to embark on this journey?
I decided to go natural for convenience at first.  Another reason was that I went to an all-white high school (I was the only minority) and they made fun of my hair mercilessly! I decided instead of trying to make it straight like theirs; I would do something completely different. 

3. How did people react to the changes you made to your hair? Were they supportive or against it?
My mom was supportive and happy she didn't have to do home "touch ups" of my relaxer in the kitchen anymore.

4. What's the one thing you've noticed about yourself since going natural?
From what I can remember, my relaxed hair made me look like a drowned rat. My hair in its natural state is so much easier to control and manipulate into different styles. 

5. What's your hair regimen?
My hair regimen is to wash it every other day with an all natural shampoo and condition with Pantene every day.  I comb my hair out in the shower, shake it, put Pantene spray sheen and Dep gel (it's alcohol free).  I don't normally buy black hair care products since I find a lot of waxes in the ingredients.  Also, everything I use must not have swine in it (Lecithin, Yellow 5, Glycerin).  

6. Do you have any hair goals?
Just to do as many things as possible with it.

7. Being multiracial, have you noticed any particular challenges with your hair?
I can't use a lot of products, but I am excited to try out Mixed Chicks line.

8. What's one piece of advice you want to leave readers with? 
Don't clog your follicles with a heavy grease product!!! Clogged follicles can't grow!! Wash your hair every other day and use either Pantene Spray Sheen or cooking olive oil (no olive oil products because they usually contain waxes). I also recommend a gel without alcohol in it to avoid excessive drying out of your hair. 

9. Is there a blog or website we can follow you at?