Natural Spotlight: Keisha

8:32:00 AM 3 Comments A+ a-









1. Introduce yourself to us. 
Hello everyone! My name is Keisha and I'm from Atlanta, GA. I've been natural for 11 years and counting! I'm also the owner of Kurly Kutie, a t-shirt line for natural women.

2. Tell us about your natural hair journey. What prompted you to go natural?
After graduating from college and getting my first corporate job, I made an appointment with a new hair stylist to get a touch up. During our consultation, she asked what service I wanted and I told her I would like a perm for my new job. She said, "No, I'll press your hair." I had no clue at the time that she was a proponent of natural hair. I went along with the press. It had only been about 3 months since my last touch up, so my hair looked fine after it was pressed. I figured I'd get a perm during my next appointment.

Fast forward 11 years and I never got that perm. After seeing that I could get the same results from having my hair pressed as I was getting from having my hair relaxed, I realized there was no need for me to continue chemical straightening. I transitioned for 2 years by getting my hair pressed every two weeks and trimming the relaxed ends off over time. It was during my transition that I saw just how beautiful the natural texture of my hair really was. My hair was thicker and healthier than I could have ever imagined. Once I was completely natural, I wore twist outs for a year straight. But now I can't get enough of my wash and go's! I rarely, if ever, wear my hair pressed now. I'm just so in love with my kinks and curls that i don't want to hide them. During my natural journey, I've had color, an involuntary Big Chop and now I'm growing my hair out. I love being a kurly kutie!

3. How do you currently care for your hair?
I shampoo my hair once a week and deep condition with my Heutiful hair steamer. The best part of being natural is the endless variety of hair styles...twist outs, flat twists, wash and go's and high buns are a few of my favs.

4. What are some of your staple products and how do you use them?
Hi, my name is Keisha and I'm a product junkie! Lol! I've tried just about every product available but I must say, Kinky Kurly's Knot Today and Curling Custard are two of my staple products. I'm currently detoxing with Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash...so far so good. It gets my hair and scalp very clean and moisturized. I follow up with a sheabutter and aloe vera mix as a styling aid. My hair loves it! 









5. You are the founder and owner of Kurly Kutie, a tshirt apparel line. Tell us a little bit about it.
Kurly Kutie is a line of apparel designed to compliment the style and originality of women who wear their hair in its natural state. What better way to flaunt your natural style than with a cute tee that blurts out sayings like, 'Curly Girls Rule the World' and 'I'm a Very Kinky Girl.' The company launched at the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta, GA this past April. The shirts were well received and there are more designs to come! Stay tuned!

6. You and I met at the World Natural Hair Show. Was this your first year attending as a vendor and/or visitor? What did you think about it?
I have been to the hair show 3 years in a row as a visitor and it gets better every year! This year was my first year as a vendor and it was awesome. I had a chance to meet so many amazing women and chat about different hairstyles and products. Look for me at the fall show in October!

7. Where can people purchase your Kurly Kutie tshirts at?
Products are available for purchase at www.kurlykutie.com. You can also find me at local hair shows and events. The website will have locations and details. Be sure to Like my facebook page or follow me on twitter for updates.

8. Do you have any words of wisdom for anyone deciding to go natural?
Educate yourself on ingredients and what your hair responds to. Try different products by getting samples if they're available before you purchase the full size. Keeping your hair moisturized is key. And last but not least, be patient! Healthy hair doesn't happen over night, but it's so worth it in the end.

3 comments

Write comments
Tazzee
AUTHOR
June 05, 2012 1:51 PM delete

I love Keisha's hair!!! I need to get on the sample train because I've spent too much on trying products.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
June 06, 2012 9:31 AM delete

Keisha's hair is so beautiful. I also LOVE the shirts!!! I've ordered 3 from her website!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
June 06, 2012 11:41 AM delete

Great Interview!! I love love love the t-shirts from KurlyKutie.com.... Curly Girls Run The World! Proud of you Bud:)

Reply
avatar