Natural Spotlight: China

2:27:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Meet China,  our very first international Natural Spotlight. Below is her story about her natural hair journey and the natural hair scene in Germany.

1. Introduce yourself to us (are you: loc'ed, newly natural, natural-n-pressed, etc.)
My name is China. I live in Germany, but I'm a Nigerian. I'm just natural.

2. How long have you been natural? Are you still surprised when people stop you on the street to question you about your hair?
I've been natural for about 1 year and 6 months after transitioning for 10 months. I'm not surprise about that [when people stop me to ask about my hair] because I'm used to such reactions over here. It's uncommon seeing Black girls with natural hair in Germany, so people do ask questions [when they see a black girl with her natural hair].


3. How did people react to the changes you made to your hair? Were they supportive or against it?
In the beginning, I never received any kind of encouragement or positive reaction at all; they all thought it isn't going to work out with the whole natural thing. All my friends and family  thought I was crazy and they thought this change of mine wouldn't stay for long, but now they all think the opposite after seeing me sticking to it and also progressing at it.

4. What's the one thing you've noticed about yourself since going natural?

I'm really happy and confident stepping into the room looking different from others. This shows I accept everything about me being Black including my nappy afro hair texture. And people respect that and find that outstanding.
5. What's the natural hair scene like in Germany?
It's rare to see Black girls with natural hair in this country. It's really sad because most of them don't know and don't believe their hair could look so good when its natural. It was a challenge for me at first being natural while girls go around with their long wavy straight hair. But as time went by, people started liking it.
Most Black girls and also the Germans, like my natural hair. They find it very interesting. I've found that the most Black girls lack patience and see it as alot of work when it comes to growing out their natural hair. They forget it's a learning process that gets easier as time goes by.
6. What's your hair regimen?
I wash my hair once every week or sometimes every two weeks. I deep condition every time I wash my hair  with Ganier Fructis Oil Repair Deep Conditioner or Dove Total Repair Mixed with olive oil and honey; this mix does wonders. I shampoo with Ganier Fructis Oil Repair Moisturizing Shampoo every time I wash my hair.  After all of that, I do a twist out or braid out. I often wear protective hairstyles in winter because I'm too lazy to do alot to my hair and because of school.

7. Natural hair has come quite a trend and women are being criticized for it. What advice do you have for women who are considering going natural but fear the negative feedback?
If you love your natural hair and you are confident wearing it out, others will do the same. People may criticize your decision but as long as you stand firm, who are they to judge? Rock your natural hair and be proud of it.

8. The internet is full of natural hair resources. Which sites are your favorite to review?
YouTube and natural hair blogs.
 
9. Is there a blog or website we can follow you at?