Coconut Oil

1:00:00 PM 2 Comments A+ a-


I love when UPS knocks on my door and I have a package that includes coconut oil. When I began my natural hair transition, the first thing I purchased was a jar of coconut oil. Naturals raved about the how hydrating and wonderful it was for your hair so why not pick up some? Big mistake. Coconut oil reacts differently to your hair at different stages (at least in my findings). Using coconut oil during my transition made my hair dry, brittle and flat.

As I progressed through my hair journey post big chop, I gave coconut oil another try and learned that my hair really likes it. It is an excellent supplement to conditioner and great for styling. Below is a list of ways that coconut oil is good for your hair.
  • Lauric Acid: One of the most responsible reasons behind hair fall and hair loss is microbial action on the scalp and hair roots. So, to protect hair against them, what we need is an antimicrobial agent. Lauric Acid present in Coconut Oil is one of them. It is basically a triglyceride which yields a monoglyceride called Monolaurin when acted upon by a species of bacteria which breaks the glycerol bonds. This monolaurin has excellent antimicrobial properties.
  • Capric Acid: This is yet another triglyceride present in Coconut oil, which, like Lauric Acid, yields another monoglyceride called Monocaprin due to bacterial action, having antimicrobial properties similar to that of monolaurin.
  • Vitamin-E: Almost every aptly educated person knows the importance of vitamin-E for skin and hair. It keeps scalp and skin healthy and hair rejuvenated.
  • Moisture Retaining Capacity: Coconut Oil has high moisture retaining capacity, since it is not broken down easily nor evaporated, being very stable. It does not let moisture escape thus keeping hair moistened and soft. This prevents breakage of hair. Coconut Oil is a far better conditioner for hair than any synthetic one available in the market.
  • Anti-Dandruff: The various fatty acids present in Coconut Oil serve as very good anti dandruff agents and are way better than any anti dandruff shampoo. A regular application can help you get rid of dandruffs for ever.
  • Styling: Coconut oil can be good styling oil for hair too, as it melts on heating and then condenses on cooling. So when you apply it on your hair, it thins and spreads evenly due to heat of the scalp. Soon afterwards, as the hair comes in contact with air, the oil on hair condenses on cooling and thus works as a styling gel or cream.
Have you experimented with coconut oil during your natural hair journey?

2 comments

Write comments
Kingsmomma
AUTHOR
February 07, 2011 2:49 PM delete

I tried it twice. The first time The first couple of days it seemed to be fine but the more I began to use it the more dry, brittle and crunchy my hair became. I tried it again because O forgot about that experience and once i used it i remember all over again why I don't use Coconut oil.
Feels wonderful on my skin though

Reply
avatar
Candice
AUTHOR
February 07, 2011 7:40 PM delete

Coconut oil is a must-have for me!

Reply
avatar