Product Review: Jamaican Black Castor Oil

2:50:00 PM 5 Comments A+ a-


I have yet to come across a natural hair blog or forum that doesn't rave about the benefits of Jamaican Black Castor Oil. From hair growth to combating dry skin, JBCO certainly making a name for itself.

Here's what the masses are saying:

I've been using this product for about 3 months and my hair has never been softer. I have 4b type hair and it can be very kinky/corse. I started using JBCO to seal my ends after twisting. I also apply the oil to my scalp and massage it at night, and add about 1-2 tsp. to my deep conditioner. I've also noticed some hair growth since Ive been doing my scalp massages with JBCO more regularly. And that's all I can really say. It may be more pricey than regular castor oil so that's why I gave it 4stars, but as far as its perfomence I think it is the business for anyone who has natural hair.

I use this oil in my hair, on my skin, scars etc. This is a great oil. I recently got a nose piercing & a tattoo, and this castor oil helped so much in the healing process. It was amazing, compared to other castor oils that I've used. Sometimes I put some on my face at night before going to bed, in my hair (makes it so soft). I even mix a few drops in my homemade lotions(made with shea butter). Can't say enough about It. My friends and family are now hooked.

I ordered a bottle just after Christmas and it arrived the day before yesterday (please note that it may take a week to get to you and is tightly packaged). I decided to give it a try the same night it arrived. I shampooed my hair with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo, then deep conditioned with coconut milk (I use this once a month), olive oil and honey for 30 minutes. I followed the deep condition up with a quick cowash using Totally Twisted and rinsing with cold water.

I massaged the JBCO around my hairline gently and then parted my hair and applied to my scalp. If you suffer from itchy and dry scalp, make sure you massage JBCO every night. Next, I rubbed some through my strands and used to seal my ends (along with Vatika oil) when doing my two strand twists. The result: shiny, soft, non-frizzy hair. I haven't been using it long enough to say I see huge results but with continued daily usage, I expect to see thicker, longer hair.

3 day old twist out

5 comments

Write comments
lilbont
AUTHOR
January 12, 2011 9:13 AM delete

My post is gone. I posted something last night. Right now I am using Motion's leave in conditioner and the black castor oil. After washing my hair, I noticed alot of breakage on the floor of the shower. Could my wig cap be the reason for so much breakage? Should I get my hair braided underneath for protection?
Signed wig and breakage.

Reply
avatar
Monique
AUTHOR
January 12, 2011 2:42 PM delete

@Rosalyn - I would say without a doubt that your wig cap may be what's causing the breakage. Are you detangling while your hair drenched in conditioner? Never comb or brush hair that is dry. Ever. Have you created a regimen yet?

Reply
avatar
lilbont
AUTHOR
January 12, 2011 2:59 PM delete

Yeah, I finger comb my hair. When i first did the big chop, I went straight to braids. This is the first my hair is free from braids and i think my hair is breaking because its not use to be free. My regimen is putting the castor oil and conditoner in, place plastic cap on while in the shower, then i run my hands through. I think the steam from the shower makes my hair soft with the stuff in. I dont know whats really going on :( Should I get the braids or wear as is? Will any harm come to my hair if i wear my wig without a cap?

Reply
avatar
Monique
AUTHOR
January 12, 2011 10:11 PM delete

@Rosalyn - try using a different oil with your conditioner, maybe olive oil. I've found castor oil more effective for sealing ends and moisturizing hair after conditioning. Since you are wearing your hair out now, it may be the reason its breaking it off. Try a protein treatment to help strength the hair. Do this twice a week for the next few weeks.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
April 29, 2013 9:46 PM delete

But gone are QB Chase Daniel, WR Jeremy Maclin and S William Moore, and although there are
legal arguments against granting the license. The kinds
of bacteria sporangia not expanding, less heat tolerance.
Good Quality Juice Extractor is almost always cooked too.

The Internet has brought about drastic changes to your diet and lifestyle when dealing with the problem," said Ann Cronin, of Bartow, Fla. I feel better and may even cure chronic disease.

Also visit my web-site ... best juicers

Reply
avatar